S2MA - Continuous-flow wind tunnel, Variable pressure, Mach 0.1 to Mach 3.1
Modane S2, Continuous-flow wind tunnel, Variable pressure,
Mach 0.1 to Mach 3.1
An S2MA experiment is capable of providing an initial data-base within a matter of 3 to 4 months
Global measurement approach using techniques such as 360° PSP and MDM
Simple models with very few pressure taps
Fast configuration changes
Wall corrections validated with the large S1MA tunnel
Extensively used by a number of worldwide customers
- Steady measurements = 154 analog channels, 16 bits A/D converter, digital lowpass filtering with a bandwidth from 0.01 to 10 Hz. Steady accuracy ±1 mV, resolution 0.3mV.
- Unsteady measurements = 64 analog channels at 100 kHz per channel. 12 bits A/D converter, digital lowpass filtering with a bandwidth from 0 to 20 kHz (if necessary the number of channels can be increased).
- Steady pressures = 992 channels (by DTC PSI®, system 8400) (On demand this number of pressure channels can be increased up to 1984).
- Automatic quality checks of the pressure measurement units.
- Real-time spectral analysis
- Automatic quality checks of the voltage measurement units.
- Real-time data processing.
- Model supports and tunnel wall interferences corrections.
- Measurement while one parameter is continuously varying.
INSTRUMENTATION AND MEASUREMENT METHODS
- Internal balances: 80 balances available and new ones manufactured on request.
- Wall-mounted balances with compressed air supply, for half-span models.
- Jet engine simulation (air turbine).
- Hot jet (pyrotechnic) or cold jet simulation (air pressure up to 150 bar and up to 15 kg/s air mass flow).
- Devices for air inlet tests.
- Airflow visualisations by shadowgraph, pigmented oils, acenaphtene sublimation, tufts, infrared thermography, PIV, PSP, liquid crystals.
- PSP (Pressure Sensitive Paints).
- MDM (Model deformation Measurement)
- Longitudinal and lateral force tests.
- Air intakes (steady and unsteady measurement).
- Store release (jettison test and captive trajectory system).
- Dynamic stability tests.
- Buffeting and flutter tests.
- Nacelle/pylon/wing interference (blow/TPS nacelles).
- Fuselage aft en test (geometry effects, sting and jet interference).
- Transverse jet simulation on rolling models.
- Parietal pressures.
Model preparation and tests in secure cells.
Numerous tests for foreign customers, all with confidentiality absolutely guaranteed.